Sumary of Almost 50 people sentenced to death over lynching of Algerian man wrongly accused of starting wildfi…:
- Five people were convicted in absentia for their involvement in the killing and for belonging to or supporting a banned Kabylie separatist movement called MAK, Mr Saheb said.
- Defence lawyers said confessions were coerced under torment and called the trial a political masquerade aimed at stigmatising Kabylie.
- Police said photographs posted online helped identify the suspects.
- Hundreds of Algerian citizens have been jailed for trying to keep the Hirak movement alive, with marches banned by Algeria army-backed government.
- At the moment of the fires, the region was the last bastion of the Hirak pro-democracy protest movement, which helped bring down long-serving president Abdelaziz Bouteflika.