Travel corridors axed completely in latest quarantine U-turn

travel corridors axed completely in latest quarantine u turn

All the remaining “travel corridors,” which allow travellers arriving in the UK to avoid self-isolation, have been scrapped in order to reduce the risk of introducing new variants of coronavirus.

Boris Johnson made the announcement at the No 10 briefing. The prime minister said it would be a temporary move, aligned with the delayed “test-before-travel” scheme.

Both measures take effect at 4am on Monday 18 January.

The transport secretary, Grant Shapps, tweeted: “Travel corridors assess public health risk from the original Sars-Cov-2, but it’s impossible for the Joint Biosecurity Centre to provide live scientific updates to predict which countries or regions will now originate new variants.

“Travel corridors are therefore suspended for now.”

Earlier in the day, Mr Shapps revealed that only one in 1,000 of the Covid infections in the UK in December was imported.

Read more

The Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said: “I’m pleased the decision has been made, but many people will say why on earth didn’t this happen before? Many countries have taken this step before we did.

INDY/GO Weekly NewsletterTIME TO TRAVEL!

INDY/GO Weekly NewsletterTIME TO TRAVEL!

“So, right steps, but slow again.”

Targeted quarantine measures were abandoned by the UK in mid-March 2020. 

In June, blanket quarantine was introduced from all locations except Ireland. All arrivals were obliged to undergo two weeks of self-isolation.

One month later, the all-out ban was overturned as “travel corridors” were established for dozens of popular countries. But these quickly started to be reversed.

Want to know more on click here go to tour news source.

From -

Close
Menu

Language